Wednesday, October 1, 2008

One of those days with a two year old!

So yesterday was a trying day for me. Some days I wonder how I got the sweetest two year old ever and then other days, well, I don't. Here is a breakdown of my day yesterday.

Morning:

We go to the zoo and after he reaches his much tired point, I end up pushing a stroller and carrying a toddler uphill some of the way. I was exhausted. Check out our zoo pictures in the post below.

Afternoon:

Hayden falls asleep on the way home from the zoo and I am thinking, "oh good, but I hope he transfers well."

We pull onto our little alleyway and what do I see, a huge dump truck pulling a tractor on a large trailer, driving all over my grass while trying to back the trailer up to the next alley. This is not the first time it has happened and it usually ends up in rough terrain and dead grass. Well, watching it for about 10 minutes (they are blocking my driveway) and knowing there is no way I can communicate with the "worker", I am furious! My blood pressure is rising like crazy and I can't wait to lay myself in bed!

Hayden on the other hand, of course didn't transfer so well as I was carrying a load of crap, a carseat, and him into the house. I think, "well, he was soooo tired, he should go right back to sleep." Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! What a joke! Several times I was almost completely out when he would start talking, asking questions, etc. I finally put him in his own room and again, am woken up by Hayden with his fireman hat on and playing around. This scenario is one that is sure to get me completely grouchy for the rest of the day. It has done so many times before. I NEEDED a nap!

I finally give up and throw his binky across the room (he can only have it while sleeping). I don't know why, I was just so frustrated. I go downstairs to stare the ugly, messy house in the eyes, and decide that although my head is pounding and I refuse to take pills while pregnant, I will clean.

Evening:

I attempt to make dinner only to realize I don't have the ingredients I was positive I had. I was without a car since I had left it at my parents the night before. I call him up and he picks us up to take us back to his place where I could retrieve my car.

Hayden and I head to Target. Brave, I know, with the way my day was going. Hayden was surprisingly well behaved for most of the time. That is until this incident. Hayden spots a lady. He tells me, "lady.". I tell him yes and try to play it off. Soon, Hayden is yelling, "LADY." She doesn't turn around so louder, "LADY!" She finally turns around and says, "is he saying, lady?" "Yes, I said, I am sorry, I don't know where that came from." She assures me it's okay and that he is very cute. I just told her to be grateful he recognized her as a lady and not a man. After she starts walking away, he says again, "Lady!" I told him again, "yes," and then he said, "cute shoes!" I guess all he wanted was to let this lady know she had cute shoes.

I grab some chips and put them into the cart. Hayden insists on holding them and so I just give in. He holds them over the edge and says, "drop it?" I told him "no, do not drop those chips!" That was asking for it. He of course does it so I pick them up and slightly tap his hand and say, "No, I told you not to drop the chips!" He smiles, slaps my hand harder, and says, "NO!" He then starts laughing and repeating these actions while others are watching.

It's bath time and I don't know how I can do one more thing. Of course, it was a battle. I try to take his diaper off as he is screaming and clenching his legs together. I finally get it off, but he is now clenching onto the diaper itself. I get him bathed and in pajamas and luckily Brian gets home. I let him do the rest which was easy. Laying in bed while he falls asleep.

So, I tell you this because after all my efforts, I get a little laugh, but mostly feel like a failure of a mom. I have given the day my all, and I feel the crappiest! I love Hayden's age but he is still a two year old!

8 comments:

The Greens said...

Robyn- You are a WONDERFUL mom!! I hate days like that though and a tired two year old definitely doesn't make it easier! Aren't you glad not EVERY day is like that?

The Gardners said...

Oh man...and to think that this is the future we've been dreaming of! Oh the joys! And you know you are a great momma! I had a morning myself...and I threw quite the tantrum in the car all alone, in true pregnant lady style. I'll call you and tell you all about it.

Love you!

Neilson Family said...

The important thing is that you keep a sense of humor. You WILL laugh about all this someday. Sorry to say but I get a tiny bit of satisfaction when I remember the days YOU were that 2 year old! Love ya tons....and you are a great mom!

Chalece said...

Oh, I'm sure you are a great mom. At least you know that this phase will pass. Hopefully sooner than later!

korth fam said...

No worries Robyn we all have our days when we wanna hang them by their toes out the window, I mean jk. Wow your'e on final approach for #2 are you ready?! It just gets more exciting from here. I'm convinced kids are born cute cuz it's their saving grace when they're stinkers, and your kid is pretty darn cute, so he can get away with more :)

Jack and Mommy said...

That's an awesome day if i've ever heard of one! What a little stinker! But when you're that cute you can get away with almost anything!! The little dude just wanted to give the LADY props on her cute shoes, that's hilarious! Smart kid.

P.S. The only thing you CAN take for pain while prego is Tylenol and it's not even worth taking! Ibuprofin is where it's at. Can't wait to take it again!

steve and lisa said...

Ugh!
What a DAY!!! Not fun, but also, exhausting! It DOES get better when they get older - but there are just different stresses! Enjoy the cuteness! Sometimes I look my 17 year-old in the eyes & want to throw her in her crib again! Okay - set gently in her crib, but SLAM the door! You are a SUPER MOM! And don't forget that! Lisa

Jason and Heather said...

Robyn, I loved reading about your day and had to just laugh because it sounds like so many of my days with a two year old! Hang in their it is all too exhausting when you are prego! I can't believe #2 is almost here, so fun! You will do a great job and love it!!