Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ouch!

My poor little Hayden had quite the fall yesterday. He was trying to climb a rod iron chair in Rich's Bagels and the climb didn't turn out so well. We heard a smack on the hard floor and looked over and saw the chair on top of Hayden. My friend, not being pregnant, ran over to the rescue as I waddled behind. When we pulled the chair off of him, his eyebrow was bleeding bad. We tried as best as we could to keep napkins on it while he screamed and tried to pull our hands away. It finally stopped and asked opinions as to whether I should take him to get stitches. We decided it was fine for the moment. I kept him awake for a couple hours because he had a double smack to the head and didn't want him to have a concussion. It wasn't easy as it was nap time. After awhile I decided to take him to my mom's work for several other opinions. I finally decided to take him to his pediatricians office to get some expert advice. His pediatrician was not in that day but I had a couple of nurses and a couple of doctors look at it. They told me the only way to get it stitched up would be to take him to Primary's and have them papoose him and sedate him. I was not up for that and knew Hayden wasn't either. They told me no matter what, it would scar so the only benefit to stitches would be less scarring and less risk of infection. We finally made a decision to have the doctor clean in up and glue it together there in the office. Hayden of course hated the idea, but it worked. I feel good about what they did, but terrible about the whole incident.

Hayden saw a man there at the office who pretended to be Santa. We saw him on the way in and on the way out. He was very sweet to Hayden and after we left he said, "Bye Santa Claus!" He then told me that Santa "feel better." I am not quite sure whether he was trying to tell me that Santa made him feel better or that he was at the hospital to feel better. Either way it was cute. He also told me, "Don't yike that one," as he pointed to the building while I was putting him in the car. "Check baby brother one!" He was telling me that he much preferred the doctor's office that mommy goes to to check on brother. Too funny.

As for that update, I am 19 days away from induction but I have made no progress as far as my cervix. The doctor reviewed my notes from Hayden and said that it wasn't until next weeks visit with him that I was even doing anything. I am still not too worried, just slightly disappointed.

11 comments:

Rogers Family Blog said...

Sorry Hayden. No fun. Boys will be boys and have their battle wounds to show for it. hang in there with that baby! Oh the last few weeks...

The Greens said...

Poor Hayden! Austin had his head glued together several times when he was younger.

steve and lisa said...

Poor little guy! Trent fell off a chair while waiting for shots (at the health district office plus the child srv. offices! Yes, the child srv. office ladies watched my child fall out of a chair!) I picked Trent up & left. He got his shots another day! Oh, the wounds of our youth! Lisa

korth fam said...

that's so sad, I'm glad he didn't need stitches. He looked happy in the picture though. Wow 19 days, I bet you're SOOOO excited! It sure will give you something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving huh?! Good luck with everything, I hope all goes well, we'll be prayin' for ya!!

Unknown said...

I hope everything heals well. No fun! I'm jealous of your induction. They don't even talk about inducing here until 42 weeks, unless it's medically necesaary. Good luck with the last couple of weeks! :)

Heather and Trevor said...

Oh, my poor little boy! I hope it heals nicely. I'll bet he was just freaking out when it happened! I feel so bad for him...but he's a trooper. He'll be fine. And I can't wait for Tegan to get here!

Neilson Family said...

I felt so bad for him. Between that and his haircut the other day, he's been one unhappy boy! Sorry you got so many unwanted opinions at the office the other day. I think they were just trying to help. Love ya!

Lindsey said...

Oh Robyn, how sad. Last summer Madison fell off the slide at our house and hit her elbow on the deck post. There was a huge gash, and Chris and I debated on stitches too. I thought it would be too traumatic, so we decided against it. She has a nice scar, and stitches probably would have been a good idea, but a little scar never hurts anyone, right? Poor Hayden. Good luck with the last couple weeks of pregnancy!

Jessica and Sean said...

Awww, poor little bud. I don't mean to laugh but when you described yourself waddling over to Hayden I couldn't help but chuckle at the picture that popped into my head. Don't you love being pregnant?! Almost there!

Ally Christensen said...

Poor little Hayden! Don't worry, the laides love scars...it makes them think they're dealing with a "bad boy." It will only help Hayden in his dating years :)

Aaron and Fiauna Family said...

I think the traumas of childhood are harder on the parents than on the children. I personally can't stand the site of my own children's blood. Yuck.
So about two weeks until baby number two, huh? Congratulations and best wishes. Go get some sleep!

Fiauna